IFAE does R&D in the field of particle physics, cosmology and astrophysics, valorising part of the research results transforming them into innovative new technologies for medical applications (3D biopsy, high resolution PET tomography, retinal implant), for the space communications (high transfer data rate modulation) or for the food industry (energy resolution x-ray camera).
The high capabilities in design, prototyping and commissioning of scientific instrumentation, added to the offer of singular facilities such as a Microelectronics Lab a Mechanical Workshop or a Data Center, makes IFAE an innovative R&D Institute, inventing turn-key engineering solutions to contribute not only to the advance of science but also to solve current societal challenges.
IFAE perform attractive collaborative research projects with the industry oriented to boost the innovation and internationalization of the companies, as well as provides patent licenses mainly based on novel radiation detection technologies for enforcing the market positioning.
2018 TECH. TRANSFER OUTPUT AT IFAE
COMPETITIVE FUNDS FROM COLLABORATIVE RESEARCH AND INNOVATION ACTIONS WITH PRIVATE SECTOR
NON COMPETITIVE FUNDS COMING FROM INDUSTRIAL PROJECTS AND SERVICES OFFERED TO EXTERNAL ENTITIES
COMPETITIVE FUNDS FOR THE VALORISATION OF NEW TECHNOLOGIES AND INVENTIONS WITH HIGH MARKET POTENTIAL
EU PATENT APPLICATION FILED
BIST Ignite - second stage - call project funded (THEIA). Led by IFAE's Medical Physics group in collaboration with ICN2, ICFO, and the Centro de Oftalmología Barraquer. Development of a retinal implant.
H2020 Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant call project funded (PREBIST PhD Fellowship Programme). Coordinated by the Barcelona Institute of Science and Technology (BIST) and participated by ICN2, ICFO, IRB, ICIQ and IFAE. Multidisciplinary pre-doctoral research at BIST´s constituent research centres and associated partner institutions (hospitals, private companies, technology centres, and other academic institutions).
CONTRACT RESEARCH & SERVICES
- 5 Technical Services executed (computing, microelectronics).
- 3 R&D Projects performed by external entities (electronics engineering, mechanics engineering).
- 5 CDA Agreements signed with companies (medtech, space, mechanical engineering, automotive) and R&D centers (biotech).
- 8 Customers (2 new).
PROTECTION, VALORIZATION & LICENSING
- 5 Disclosures of Inventions evaluated (educational software, medical software, computing hardware, medical imaging sensors, heat detection system).
- 1 European patent application filed. Visual prostheses and systems and methods for implants.
- 1 regional phase entry (EU) of an international patent application. Method for modulation of PSK signals applied to high transfer data rate communication systems.
- 1 Explora tecnología call (Ministerio de Ciencia Innovación y Universidades) project granted. Leaded by the Gamma Rays Astrophysics research line. Light conditioning for telescope photodetection.
- 1 Severo Ochoa IFAE’s Start-Up call project granted. Fire detector and alarm system.
STRATEGYC AND INSTITUTIONAL ACTIONS
- Negotiation of IPR terms and conditions of 2 international and 1 national collaboration agreements in the framework of large scientific collaborations (DESY, ESCAPE, Graphcat).
- Creation of the UAB Data Science Cluster, constituted by CRM, SEA-UAB and IFAE. Collaboration aimed at offering aggregated big data computing, programming and data analysis services for public and private sector.
- UAB KTT meeting hosted by IFAE with an invited company (Innoget). Participation of CRM, CRAG, ICN2 and PRUAB.
- Participation in the brokerage events of 3 international congresses (Big Data, Internet of Things, Smart City), presenting the portfolio of protected/in valorisation phase IFAE technologies available for industry.
- Presentation of an early demand of Port d’Informació Científica (PIC) for a future international tender of innovation in the GenCat Program “FUTURE PROJECTS OF PUBLIC PROCUREMENT OF INNOVATION” (Smart City World Congress). New design of computers to be used in Open Bath Dielectric Fluid Immersion Cooling tanks which maximizes density.
- KTT Unit contribution to the evaluation and monitoring reports for the Severo Ochoa Award (MICIIN), Institució CERCA, Uneix, Inventari General del Patrimoni de la Generalitat and Sindicatura de Comptes (SUR, GenCat).
Co-organization of the 3nd Entrepreneurship course for researchers, “From Science to Business” (ESADE - BIST) with special participation of invited successful spin-offs/start-ups (Quside Technologies S.L., Ahead Therapeutics, Starlab, Peptomyc S.L.).
Due diligence of the IFAE portfolio of market oriented technologies. Session performed by IESE.